Sunday, January 11, 2009

My Mustang!

I made it home last night from the trek to southern Illinois to pick up my mustang. When I got there I found out I'd been assigned a black filly! Black has always been one of my favorite colors and I've had several black horses. I also found out that all of the mustangs for this event are female. The trip was fairly uneventful except for a bad snowstorm that came up in south western Iowa and forced me to pull over at a rest area and wait it out. When we started on the drive back she didn't want much to do with me at all, but by the time we made it home she was happily eating hay out of my hand and I was able to pet her nose. We got home after dark and she spent the night in the trailer. This morning I went out and worked with her a bit in the trailer. After a couple of short visits with her I was able to scratch her on the neck.

We took her to the roundpen and unloaded her. After a few hours of work I had her halter trained, standing tied without much of a fuss, plus loading and unloading out of the trailer. All in all I think we had a GREAT first day. There is still a lot of work to do of course, but I'm very happy with how today went.

Below is a picture of her and I during training. Also a video clip of her first unload out of trailer with me. She wanted to rush out of the trailer, but I had her wait and calm down a bit just inside before we hopped out. This is after only a couple hours together!




No comments: