Thursday, January 15, 2009

So Proud

I'm SO proud of my mustang filly. (still unnamed, I'm waiting for the right name to come to me) We had that one good training session back on Sunday, Day 1. On Monday the weather was horrible, high winds all day, gusting to 60-70mph. So I opted to just hang out with her that day. On Tuesday I got a call to help the Humane Society transport some horses and that was an all day and into the night project. Then yesterday I woke up to a couple inches of fluffy snow and bitter cold temps. I decided it was well past time to get her moved to a place up the road that has a barn with an attached indoor arena. I had talked to them a month or so ago about keeping some horses there and I had planned to take my mustang there at some point to get some work done in the indoor. But after losing training days to wind and snow I decided to move her inside right away.

I asked Jeff to go along because I was going to have to walk her on the road, up their drivway and into the barn. I thought she might get scared and/or decide to head out for the open spaces! Very quickly it became clear that I wasn't giving her enough credit at all! She unloaded after a couple pauses to look around and she walked with me all the way to the barn like an old pro. Slack lead and a curious expression as if to say "where are we going?" There was a parked car that we had to walk past and she was a little concerned about it, but she didn't shy or try to get away. I just told her it was ok, and she kept walking. I was full of smiles. Even more so when we got to the barn. The sliding door into the barn was only open about 3 feet and I couldn't push it any further because of the snow build up. So I went inside and let her take a look at things while I gave her plenty of lead. I kept talking to her, telling her it was ok, and after looking inside the door and thinking about it, she walked on in like she owned the place. I took her to her stall and turned her loose where she wandered around investigating things. I was completely overjoyed with how willing she was. Afterwards I kept saying to Jeff over and over "I'm so proud of her, she did SO well!" He agreed and said "I think you got a good one." Absolutely!

I can't wait to get to work indoors!

No comments: