Sunday, January 18, 2009

Weekend Update

I was asked if I could help the Humane Society on Friday to go get the last few horses who had been left behind. So on Friday morning I got in a quick training session with my filly before we headed out. (I think I'm going to name her Onyx...) When I got there she was covered in shavings, I had put down a nice thick bed of shavings in her stall the night before. She let me brush them off of her with my hand. Previously I hadn't touched her at all behind her shoulders, but she allowed me to wipe off the shavings all down her barrel, back, flanks and rump. She's still touchy about her belly. I worked on touching the top of her head and stroking her ears in preparation for bridling later on. Then we went to the (lovely!) indoor arena to do some work. I introduced her to lunging and had her trotting nice relaxed circles around me within just a minute or two. She has also already picked up "Whoa". She stopped and stood rock still when I said it. My word she's smart! Within 10 minutes I had lunged her at a trot in both directions and did a few whoa, trot, whoa transitions. I kept the session short because I had to go meet up with the humane society and move some horses! She comes to greet me at the stall door when I open it, I don't have to go "get" her in the stall. When I turn her loose in the round pen she follows me wherever I go. I think she's making great progress! We took yesterday off as far as training, but I did go and hang out with her last night. Jeff also got some hands on time with her, he was holding her halter and petting her in the stall. He said she's a very pretty horse. :)

No comments: