Monday, March 14, 2011

Day Two!

Well technically today should have been Day Three, but alas I was knocked out of comission by the worst migraine of my life that hit early yesterday afternoon and didn't ease up until 6 hours at the hospital ER, an excruciating shot of painkiller, an IV, and about 8 frantic trips to the bathroom to throw up. Needless to say, there was no horse training taking place yesterday. I was very frustrated about losing a day already, but Jeff was kind enough to point out that I'll gain many more days than I had with Onyx due to it not being blizzard season anymore. The chance for a spring storm or two is still out there, but so far so good weather-wise.

(This is what I had to contend with while training Onyx, my first Makeover horse) --


(that's looking at the back door of the barn - the drift was over the barn roof - and it happened like this a few times that winter)

Anyway, today I started by working on petting the mustang in his stall and then I lead him through the barn to the arena. He was great at leading this time and didn't balk at doorways like our first trip through the barn on a lead. Once in the arena, we practiced just a bit of lunging. I was kinda shocked when he picked up changing direction after the 2nd time I asked him. I guess I still forget sometimes how smart these horses are and I think this guy is particularly bright.

After a handful of circles and a few changes of direction, I was able to stop him on "Whoa" and we went off to the round pen. He got to play and roll in there while I went to clean his stall. Then we did some rope work all down both sides and all around his legs. I handled both of his front legs and by the time I was done, he had his head down, half-asleep. He also stopped flinching right before I touch him. Anticipation of contact is common with the wild ones and they often tense up the instant before you touch them in the beginning. Jeff watched the whole session and it was fun to explain to him the things I was doing. Despite him watching everything and me having brought the camera to the barn - we still didn't get any pictures of me working with the horse today! I really need to get better about that.

I did get a few pictures of him back in his stall. He was watching as Jeff watered the other boys and he was very interested in the clicks and beeps the camera was making, though he wasn't quite brave enough to come check it out.




I noticed while working with him today that he was starting to get into being petted. He tried to move a bit closer to me every now and then when I would stop leading him. He's been following me at a bit of a distance so far, but when I stopped today, he would step up to stand close to me. I really think as soon as he figures out that I don't plan to eat him, he'll be a pocket pony in no time. The impression I get from him is that he really wants to be affectionate and hang out with us, he's just not quite sure it's okay yet. That'll come with time, but I see him being very sweet, very soon.

No comments: